Tuesday 1 July 2014

City love

Whenever I am out and about, there comes a time when I get hit by a smell that reminds me of another city I love: Bangkok.



This usually happens at the most random places, with no apparent source. So I could be walking to class from Euston Station - and BOOM -  I feel like I'm walking down Sukhumvit Road. Do other people experience this as well? This will happen about once a week, only with Bangkok, and it always brings a smile to my face.
Especially when London was a wet and dark city, thinking about Bangkok seems like a getting warm hug, that creates an unusually strong longing for that crazy, sticky and smelly city.
When people ask me what I love about Bangkok, I never quite know what to tell them.

 
Maybe it is something you have to experience once to understand it. The city has a certain magnetic power, and it holds this power long after you have left the country. One of the most striking characteristics of Bangkok is its combination of old and new.
 

Old temples are found right next to tall Apartment blocks, run down houses next to modern offices. You can go from shopping at Armani, to having a bowl of soup sitting on a small plastic stool next to the highway, then hop on the Skytrain gliding through skyscrapers and visiting a holy shrine. It really is a city of contrasts. I send much love to this wonderful city!                    

No comments:

Post a Comment